Hymn # 181 O Dearest Jesus
Words of Assurance: 1 John 1:9 (ESV)
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
Hymn # 258 The Spirit Breaths upon the Word
Scripture: Ephesians 4:25-5:2
Therefore each of you must put off falsehood and speak truthfully with your neighbour, for we are all members of one body. In your anger do not sin. Do not let the son go down while you are still angry and do not give the devil a foothold. He who has been stealing must steal no longer but must work, doing something useful with his own hands, that he may have something to share with those in need.
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths' but only what is helpful for the building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.
Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and as a sacrifice to God.
Sermon: Be Imitators of God
God works in you and with you to bring change to your life.
Too many people have hearts that are hardened to the things of God.
Jesus shows us God.
Just as children imitate their parents because they love their parents, so we should imitate God.
So how are we called to live
1. In truthfulness. Not people who lie which comes so naturally to us. Speak the truth, especially to those who are fellow believers as we are all connected to each other, one family, one body.
2. Do not sin in your anger. Control your anger, don't have it control you. For instance, do not hold unto your anger. Have an end to it. Held anger turns often into hatred. STOP. Just stop holding unto anger. It serves no good purpose and it is not how God wants us to live.
and somewhere the rest of my sermon notes completely disappeared! ARGH.. TECHNOLOGY!!!!
So let's see what I can remember
3. Be useful. Don't be a thief...whether that be of time, knowledge, things that belong to others or whatever. Be useful in order that you can help those in need. So it's not being useful for usefulness' sake, but for the sake of others. It's good to keep that focus in mind.
4. Watch what you say. Don't be tearing down others for whatever reason, always seek to build others up. But not a random building up... a building up according to their needs.
5. Don't grieve the Holy Spirit of God. Don't be doing things that are against what you know is right.
6. Watch out for the anger that lurks within. That anger turns into hatred. Give up. Instead forgive one another. God forgave you in Christ, so let us imitate God and forgive others.
7. BE an imitator of God. The longer we live the more we should show God in our lives if we are believers. Just as a child imitates the parents that are loved, so we should strive to imitate God. We are dearly loved of God, we are his children, so let us then imitate him.
- Hymn # 700 Trust and Obey
- Hymn # 317 Almighty God, Thy Word Is Cast
- Hymn # 86–3 All Praise and Thanks to God