O worship the king all glorious above
God be merciful to me
Spirit of God descend upon my heart
I love thy kingdom Lord
Jesus the very thought of thee
Blest be the tie that binds
Glory be to the Father
11 For this is the message that you have heard from the beginning, that we should love one another. 12 We should not be like Cain, who was of the evil one and murdered his brother. And why did he murder him? Because his own deeds were evil and his brother's righteous. 13 Do not be surprised, brothers,[a] that the world hates you. 14 We know that we have passed out of death into life, because we love the brothers. Whoever does not love abides in death. 15 Everyone who hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him.
16 By this we know love, that he laid down his life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for the brothers. 17 But if anyone has the world's goods and sees his brother in need, yet closes his heart against him, how does God's love abide in him? 18 Little children, let us not love in word or talk but in deed and in truth.
People throw the word around casually. Doing things, even destructive things, in the name of love.
Remember there are two groups of people. Children of God, children not of God.
Those who practice righteousness, those who give no thought to God.
V. 11 what have we heard?
- heard from beginning...love one another.
- It is not optional for those of us in Christ
- It is is command... love one another
- It is one of those foundational things
- It marks the family you belong to
V. 12-15 whose family are you part of?
- do not be like Cain, a murderer, one who did evil and killed his brother whose deeds were righteous
- Don't be surprised by the world's hatred
- Those who hate are murderers. The devil has been a murderer from the beginning.
- Love of our brothers marks us
- We love because we have passed from death to life
- Death...that is where those who don't love abide
- So do not be surprised when you do good and people hate you for it
- Love marks God's family
V.16-18 how to know love
- Jesus laid down his life
- We should be willing to lay down ourselves
- If we see a need in our brethren we should be willing to meet it
- If we don't....how are we showing what family we belong to?
- Don't just talk...do it!!
- Look at what Jesus Christ has done...this is what true love is. Laying his life down for us.
- Love is action. Love is not caring what someone has done, but simply acting on their behalf.
- So be prepared. Lay down your life for others
- Love in action and truth. Don't lie about what is right. Tell the truth, offer correction, but do so with love.
- Help folks out, show them love, it's having an open heart.
- The truth....shows your love, your love speaks to truth.