I do notice though in the family history listed here it's not just a list of _____ begat ______, but that occasionally added snippets are up in.
- Jacob the father of Judah and his brothers
- Judah the father of Perez and Zerah by Tamar
- Salmon the father of Boaz by Rahab
- Boaz the father of Obed by Ruth
- Jesse the father of David the king
- David was the father of Solomon by the wife of Uriah
- Josiah the father of Jechoniah and his brothers, at the time of the deportation to Babylon
- and after the deportation to Babylon: Jechoniah was the father of Shealtiel
- Jacob the father of Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom Jesus was born, who is called Christ.
Like who doesn't know the story of Boaz and Ruth...the love that girl had for her mother-in-law, her willingness to heed her words?
The story of Judah and his brothers, tossing Joseph down a well and then selling him and having him save the Israelites from starvation?
All these stories add depth and meaning to the care God showed his people in the history leading up to the birth of Christ. That MEANS something. Isn't it good knowing the spiritual history of your family?
I find it comforting to know that many of my family has known and loved God for years. It means I don't stand alone in the gap. It means I have a history in my blood of knowing God. And this to me is a good thing.
What is your family's spiritual history?