(Mark 13:14-23 ESV)
BUT see these words.. they jumped out at me. FOR THE SAKE OF THE ELECT HE SHORTENED THE DAYS.
There are really no two ways about it. Desolation is coming. Sin has it's own reward and it's never good.
BUT the Lord acts on the behalf of his people regardless. He has CUT SHORT those days because of those he chose from the very foundation of the earth. The Lord knows his people and continues to watch over them. Cutting short times of trial.
Oh, but we are to be mindful. Folks will come saying "I am the Christ" "I am a prophet of God". We are to be alert and mindful. False christs and false prophets will arise. DO NOT LISTEN to them. Just don't do.
Keep your minds and hearts focused on God himself. Don't be fooled by signs and wonders and such like. Don't let such things lead you astray, because they will certainly try to do it.
Knowing this time of desolation is coming ahead of time helps us to prepare. To pray
1. that it doesn't happen in the winter
2. for protection of young moms and their youngsters
3. that people not fall for the tricks of the pretenders
4. that God will continue to remember his people, his elect, his chosen and cut this time short.
5. that we can withstand this terrible time of tribulation, a time the world has not seen before. Think about that. This coming time of tribulation will be harder than anything yet seen before...worse than the concentration camps, worse than tsunamis, worse than fires and devastations already seen.
How will we stand? By knowing that God has cut short these days for the sake of his people. By remembering God and leaning on him. That's the only way we can do it.
So be alert...it's coming.